Norskland Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 28, 2014, 12:04:42 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
norskland.com Home Page

Old Norskland Forum (Read Only)
1836 Posts in 412 Topics by 240 Members
Latest Member: Poppy
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Norskland Forum
|-+  Norskland Forums
| |-+  Food and Recipes (Moderator: Ruth)
| | |-+  Whats the best brand AKVAVIT
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Whats the best brand AKVAVIT  (Read 17199 times)
brketo

View Profile
« on: March 05, 2009, 02:39:51 pm »

How many have had the pleasure to try it.
I have come to the conclusion that the Norweigan Linie Akvavit is most popular, Is it becauce it crosses the equator and then returned ?

Norway -    Akvavit / dram
  Finland  -    Akvaiitti
  Sweden -   Akvavit
  Iceland -     Akaviti
  Denmark-    Akvavit /  Snaps

President of Vinland Lodge 1-193
 S of N, Zone 1 Director in District 1
 International Falls, MN
ole

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 06:51:02 pm »

I do like Linie Akevitt, but also like O.B. Anderson Swedish Akevitt.  There is an Icelandic one that the Icelandic people call the "Black Death"  That is also pretty good.  I have tried the Danish akevitt Aalborg, but don't care much for it.  I have had Danes tell me that the Norwegian akevitt is much better.
Ruth

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 07:32:41 pm »

I have heard a story how that came about, but I can't swear it is true.  If it isn't - it is still a good story.

In the olden days when sail ships went to far away lands to buy goods, they sailed with more or less empty ships on the way down.  Somebody decided that good old fashioned potato moonshine would probably sell really well in Africa and India. 

What most people drank then was Sherry and empty sherry-barrels were easily come by. 
They filled them up with moonshine and away they went.  But of course, nobody wanted to buy it, so it went back home again. 

THEN - they found the drink had changed.  The months spent in cherry barrels and the two crossing of Equator had done something to it.  And so the Linje akkevit was born.  Line of course being the Equatorial line.
brketo

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 09:54:25 pm »

You read it right,heres what I read  on Wapeka;
Origin and traditional variants
The earliest known reference to akvavit is found in a 1531 letter from the Danish Lord of Bergenshus castle, Eske Bille to Olav Engelbrektsson, the last Archbishop of Norway. The letter, dated April 13, accompanying a package, offers the archbishop "some water which is called Aqua Vite and is a help for all sort of sickness which a man can have both internally and externally."

While this claim for the medicinal properties of the drink may be rather inflated, it is a popular belief that akvavit will ease the digestion of rich foods. In Denmark it is traditionally associated with Christmas lunch. In Norway it is particularly drunk at celebrations, such as Christmas or May 17 (Norwegian Constitution Day). In Sweden it is a staple of the traditional midsummer celebrations dinner, usually drunk while singing one of many drinking songs. It is usually drunk as snaps during meals, especially during the appetizer course— along with pickled herring, crayfish, lutefisk or smoked fish. In this regard it is popularly quipped that akvavit helps the fish swim down to the stomach. It is also a regular on the traditional Norwegian Christmas meals, including roasted rib of pork and stickmeat (pinnekjøtt). It is said that the spices and the alcohol helps digest the meal which is very rich in fat.

Among the most important brands are Løiten, Lysholm and Gilde from Norway, Aalborg from Denmark and O.P Andersson from Sweden. While the Danish and Swedish variants are normally very light in colour, most of the Norwegian brands are matured in oak casks for at least one year and for some brands even as long as 12 years, making them generally darker in colour. While members of all three nations can be found to claim that "their" style of Akvavit is the best as a matter of national pride, Norwegian akevitt tend to have, if not the most distinctive character, then at least the most overpowering flavour and deepest colour due to the aging process.

Particular to the Norwegian tradition are linje akvavits (such as “Løiten Linje” and “Lysholm Linje”). These have been carried in oak casks onboard ships crossing the equator (linje) twice before being sold. While many experts claim that this tradition is little more than a gimmick, some argue that the moving seas and frequent temperature changes cause the spirit to extract more flavour from the casks. Norwegian akvavit distillers Arcus has carried out a scientific test where they tried to emulate the rocking of the casks aboard the "Linje" ships while the casks were subjected to the weather elements as they would aboard a ship. The finished product was according to Arcus far from the taste that a proper "Linje" akvavit should have, thus the tradition of shipping the akvavit casks past the "Linje" and back continues.

President of Vinland Lodge 1-193
 S of N, Zone 1 Director in District 1
 International Falls, MN
bskjoren

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2009, 09:24:05 pm »

Like wine, you should choose akevitt after the food. If you want the finest akevitt that you can use insted of cognac I'll would use linje or Gilde non pluss ultra. Both Norwegian of course......
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: