Norskland Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 16, 2018, 07:27:01 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
norskland.com Home Page

Old Norskland Forum (Read Only)
1888 Posts in 419 Topics by 238 Members
Latest Member: Clark
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Norskland Forum
|-+  Norskland Forums
| |-+  Show Off Your Photos
| | |-+  And now for the tale.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: And now for the tale.  (Read 13147 times)
Ruth

View Profile
« on: January 12, 2006, 07:51:31 pm »

I have heard this tale many times since I was a little girl. It never stopped to facinate me.  I know there are different versions of it, but this is the one I know; 

In the west  Vågåkallen sits in his high chair, one thousand meters over the sea in Henningsvær. All of Lofoten is his and Vestfjorden with its shoals of codfish.  Around him stand wild scraggy mountains and tall and mighty he looks out over  the mountains and the sea.  For thousands of years he has braved storm and seawaves and the hammer of Tor and he takes what he wants.

Across the Vestfjorden, on Landego sits Landegomøya (Landego-girl) and look over at him. He is her lover and she has a child with him, even though she is engaged to Blåmannen (The Blue man).   She looks at him - always. In the morning she can see his purple coat and in the evenings the sun catches his golden crown.

Vågåkallen has only one son, his name is Hestmannen (the Horseman)  because he was always riding his horse.  He is wild and unruly and after an argument with his father he left home and settled down in Svolvær.  He grew taller than his father and nobody could get near him - so wild was he.

In the East sits Suliskongen  (king over Sulitjelma) and looks out over his kingdom. He is king over the mountain plateau and the wilderness with the lakes and woods.

He has 7 daughters and they were driving him out of his mind. In the end he send them to Landego to live with Landego-møya and he hired a servant-girl named Lekamøya to look after them.  There they lived happily and they watched the midnightsun in the summer and played with the Northern-lights when the long night fell.

But then one evening  Hestmannen sat in his mountain at Svolvær and looked over the Vestfjorden and with his sharp  eyes he saw  De Syv Søstre (The seven Sisters)  out dancing. They were good looking and so playful in the dusk, and now they had got away from their father, Suliskongen, they staying out late and were having fun on the seaboard.  The 150 km over the Vestfjord was not far for him and he threw his cape over his shoulders and spurred his horse on.

Lekamøya was  baking flatbread of the fine flour at the farm when she heard the  dreadful noise from the north and saw Hestmannen riding towards them.  The sparks flew from the horse's shoes and sat fire to the sea.  She understood it was useless to try to fight him  so she got the Seven Sister together and they ran for their lives southwards.

Rødøyløven (Red island-lion) sat on guard by the entrance to the Saltenfjorden when he heard such a strange noise and howling in the air coming down from the north.

When they came to Alsten øy  (Alsten island) the sisters talked among themselves and decided it was silly to run from such a handsome  gentleman, so they threw their capes off,  and the capes became Dønna øy.  They stood there, next to each other and tried to look as alluring  and beautiful as they could. The first and youngest was Botnkrona  then Grytfoten, then Skjeringen, then Tvillingene, Kvasstind and farthest to the south,  Breitind with her baby hanging around her neck.   But they could have saved themselves the  trouble. It wasn't any them Hestmannen wanted, he was after Lekamøya.  She ran on and when she came to Tjøtta  she threw the rolling-pin and everything else she had used baking - and ran even faster  than before, south towards Leka. 

By now Hestmannen was furious, if he could not have her - then nobody should.  He took an arrow, laid it on the bow, aimed well and shot. The arrow whistled through the summer-night like a lightning.  But  another Jutul had been watching,  Dønnamannen (the man from Dønna), and he threw his hat in between, and the arrow went through the hat and it landed in the ocean south of Helgelands-flæsa in Brønnøysund.

In the same moment the sun rose, the  nights are very short in North of Norway in the spring,  and everyone turned into stone, and there they are even today! Lekamøya at Leka stiffened in a wild escape southwards - Torghatten with the hole right through, and the arrow as a tiny island in the ocean outside Torghatten. The tools Lekamøya used for baking stand like stone monuments at Tjøtta. The Seven Sisters are forever dancing at the Alsten-island, and northward you can see Hestmannen with his horse rearing towards the Artic circle, guarded by Rødøyløva and Dønnamannen lies there without a hat.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2006, 04:34:40 pm by admin » Logged
Oeystein
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2006, 05:53:07 pm »

Lekamøya (with a shawl thrown over her shoulders, running southwards)
Oeystein
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2006, 05:54:52 pm »

And finally Rødøyløven:
Ruth

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2006, 06:56:33 pm »

Oeystein;

How absolutly wonderful that you could come up with those photos!!!   I have been looking for them, but had no luck. 
Isn't it a great story?   Smiley

Nothing make me happier than members who do what  you just  did - make this an even better site.   Thanks a lot!!

Ruth
Oeystein
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2006, 07:09:46 pm »

You are welcome, I stole them from a couple of sites which also had the tale...
This part of the country is my favourite. Most tourists hurry past on their way to Lofoten and North Cape and have no idea what they miss.....
Ruth

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2006, 07:25:47 pm »

Oeystein;

I know!!!   Smiley   My mother was born on Dønna and we are so lucky that we still have her childhood home as a retreat for the whole family (and we are many now).   Last summer I had friends from both Scotland and Norway (Oslo) with me up there. We drove the costal road and what an amazing trip that was for all of us.  I had told everybody this story before we went and as usual they thought me a bit silly  Wink   They still do, i suppose.  But not when it comes to mountains.   
My husband who at one time studied geology said he would have to call his old professor and tell him his ideas about how mointains were made were all wrong.   They all  really started out as Jøtuls and trolls and kings. 

Ruth
admin
Administrator

Gus - Richardson, Texas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2006, 03:23:00 pm »

And finally Rødøyløven:

Oeystein,

I have to say that your photos are really fantastic! I don't know exactly where these were taken but they sure are nice. Maybe we will soon see some more of your photos.   Smiley

And welcome to the new forum! Nice of you to include a picture also (wish everyone did   Smiley  )

Gus

I love digital photography, traveling, music and computers.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: